Four people died, 17 were reported missing and three others were rescued following the sinking of the Galician fishing boat that occurred this morning off the coast of Terranova, Canada, the Spanish government said Tuesday.
Spokesperson for the Spanish executive, Isabel Rodríguez, who gave a press conference after the Council of Ministers, said that The government is following “with care and concern” the search and rescue operation of the crew members.
Isabel Rodríguez assured that Madrid was in permanent coordination and contact with rescue services and, in this context, informed that three crew members had been rescued, also calling for special attention to the information provided to the fishermen’s families.
Pedro Sánchez also wrote on the social network Twitter that he was paying attention to the search operation, having conveyed “all his affection” to the family members of the fishing crew members.
We are following with concern the search and rescue task of the crew of the Galician ship that sank in the waters of Newfoundland.
All my love to their family. The government remains in constant contact with rescue services.
– Pedro Sánchez (@sanchezcastejon) February 15, 2022
According to international institutions, at least four crew members of a Galician fishing boat died after the boat, fishing in Canadian waters off the coast of Newfoundland, sank.
The fishing vessel “Villa de Pitanxo”, based in Marín (Pontevedra) and owned by the Galician owner Manuel Nores, sank around 6:00 am in Spain (less than an hour in Lisbon) as recorded by the ship’s beacon, which has crew of 22 peopleaccording to the representative of the government delegation in Pontevedra, Maica Larriba.
An hour earlier, explained the representative of the delegation, “contact with the ship’s blue box was cut off”.
Several fishing boats in the area also participated in the rescue work, including one from Portugal and another from Marín, the home port of “Villa de Pitanxo”.
Three of the four lifeboats were recovered hours later, Larriba added, but two of them were “completely empty” and the third carried only three survivors.
Canadian authorities are now following the fourth raft, but so far it has not been found.
“The situation in Newfoundland waters is very bad,” the deputy said, pointing out that it was “still dawn” in the area, meaning that Canadian rescue ships and helicopters “were unable to gather information until recently.” .
You the three crew members rescued so far are in “hypothermic shock”, the representative said, as the water temperature was “terrible”..
Larriba also confirmed that there were deaths among the ship’s crew of 24, according to Spanish newspaper El Mundo, 16 of whom had Spanish passports, and the rest were Peruvian and from Ghana, according to Maritime Salvage documentation.
WITH THE TODAY
“Geek zombie. Subtly charming social media scholar. Beer enthusiast. Lifelong bacon pioneer.”