Confidentiality and data storage
Data storage and logging
By visiting this website, certain technical data about your internet connection and your browser are stored. These data can be categorized as follows:
- Cookies in your browser
- Technical information about servers
- User information in databases
A cookie is a mechanism by which your browser can store information it receives from websites and then send it back to websites later. This happens automatically without the user having to think about it.
Cookies can have several functions, such as tracking settings, which user you are logged in as, what you have access to, helping to ensure that you receive the right content, tracking ad impressions and others.
Cookies help keep track of these settings and other things over time, so that the information is more easily accessible on repeat visits to the website. Cookies are also used for the temporary processing of user-specific information when visiting different parts of the same website.
Cookies are automatically saved by your browser in the form of small text files on your computer. You can change the cookie management settings in your browser.
Cookies can be provided by all types of website content, whether text pages, images or otherwise. Cookies are only sent back to the site from which you got them, not to other sites.
This website stores cookies to manage three levels of functionality:
- Critical cookies are used to keep track of user information, access, certain personal settings and more. Without these, the website will not work as it should.
- Analytics cookies are used to track website traffic, which parts of it are most popular, which parts are used the most and more. Some of these cookies are third-party cookies provided by external service providers. Cookies for analytics functions are used to improve the website (which is under constant development), but they are not critical to the functionality of the website.
- Advertising cookies are used by internal and third-party advertising systems to track and track ad impressions.
There is a legal obligation that this information be made available to you as a user of websites that use such cookies.
When you visit a website, the web server records certain technical information such as your IP address, the browser you are using and the time of each time you request data from the server, i.e. when you click on an internal link and load a new website. or associated data such as fonts, images, various scripts necessary for the operation of the website.
This data is only saved for a certain period of time in order to troubleshoot and correct errors in the systems, and is never shared with newspaper employees or third parties.
We store certain information about you as a user. No sensitive information is stored on this site, but the simple contact details you provide when creating a user account or purchasing services in the online journal will be stored in our databases. This is necessary in order to be able to provide the Services to you. This data is deleted when you delete your user account.
Who do we store data about?
If you visit this website without registering a user account or subscription, the following data about you is stored:
- Some technical information such as IP address and browser is stored in web server logs. This technical information is kept for 180 days, and is necessary for the operation of the service and for security. This data is never disclosed to newspaper employees or third parties.
- Google Analytics counts page views to maintain visitor statistics. This information is anonymized and cannot be used to track you.
- Certain third-party services such as downloaded fonts and scripts may log your IP address and other information on external servers.
- A cookie is set to identify you as a user when browsing the websites. This is deleted when you close your browser, or at the latest after 360 minutes of inactivity.
Connected users and subscribers:
If you choose to create a user account and/or subscribe to the online newspaper, the following information about you will also be stored:
- Name, address and other contact information that you provide yourself during the registration process. This data is kept until you delete your user account.
- Information about your subscription, eg. when it was purchased, how it was paid for, some credit card numbers, how long the subscription lasted and what subscription you have. This data is kept until the user account is deleted.
- Simple data on the articles you have read and the quantity of articles you read. This is used to improve our content and is deleted if you delete your user account.
NB: Once the data is deleted, it can still be kept for up to 180 days in backups. Backups are stored with high security and limited access, and are necessary to be able to perform troubleshooting and ensure the security of users and the computer system.
Terms and conditions
The following terms and conditions apply if you have created a user account and/or subscription:
The copying of the content of the pages is not authorized without the agreement of the editors.
As a user of this website, you can contact the newspaper to have your data published and/or deleted.
If you have a user account/subscription, you can login to your user profile and download your saved data, as well as delete your user account and associated data at any time.
You can also delete all local data in your browser. The procedure for this varies between different browsers and devices.
Recommendation: By using the EU service YourOnlineChoices.com, you can control to some extent how different advertising providers track you, as well as read lots of great tips on how you can tailor the ads displayed. Open YourOnlineChoices.com in a new window.
NB: Some critical system data found, for example, in web server logs cannot be deleted on request, but is automatically deleted after a short period of time according to the information above.
If you press REJECT, no cookies will be stored in your browser and no data about you will be recorded in our databases. It also means that we cannot tell whether you have approved or not, so you will see this warning on every page you visit. Technical information (web server logs) will still retain your IP address and browser information, but will be permanently deleted as described above.
“Creator. Communicator. Twitter evangelist. Passionate couch potato. Thinker. Pop culture aficionado. Award-winning web junkie.”