Chelsea sales could reach R$19 billion and break a record

Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich has sold Chelsea due to the sanctions he suffered after Russian invasion of Ukraine because of his relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

According to ‘The Athletic’ website, the English club’s sales could reach 3 billion pounds (about R$19.5 billion at current prices) – which would be the highest amount a sports team has ever paid.

Also according to the news portal, more than 20 proposals have been submitted for the purchase of the ‘Blues’, who are the current Champions League champions.

The sports team’s current sales ‘record’ is the Brooklyn Nets of the NBA. Canadian billionaire Joe Tsai, co-founder of Alibaba Group, became the sole partner of the Nets three years ago. He spent US$2.35 billion (about R$11.6 billion currently), but in two “stages”: in 2017 he bought a 49% stake and two years later went forward to acquire the remaining 51%, in two deals with Mikhail Prokhorov of Russia.

Apart from the sanctions imposed on Roman Abramovich by the British government, it is he who will complete the sale of Chelsea. The Russian oligarch has had his assets frozen and barred from being a director of a Premier League club. With that, he would not earn a penny from the sale of the London team.

Hadwin Floyd

"Coffee enthusiast. Hipster-friendly social media fanatic. Certified zombie expert. Problem solver."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *